Board of Sanoma calls two-month timeout on tabloid Helsingin Sanomat project
Preparations for the renewal continue, while a final decision is expected in August
As reported in February, Helsingin Sanomat is planning to adopt the tabloid-sized format from the beginning of 2013.
A final decision on the format change was to be made by the Board of Sanoma yesterday - Wednesday. However, the Board decided to call a timeout on the project.
”Preparations for the project will continue as normal, but the Board is calling for some further clarification. The next decision-making point will be in August”, notes Pekka Soini, CEO of Sanoma News.
The format change is based on years of research and development, as well as on substantial testing. In February the company issued a news release that revealed the plans to the general public.
In spite of the temporary suspension, preparation work will continue.
”A decision on the matter will have to be made in August at the latest, if we want to launch the new look and size of the paper at the start of 2013”, says Senior Editor-in-Chief Mikael Pentikäinen.
As of June 15th, Helsingin Sanomat will adopt a new management model where the responsibilities of the commercial organisation and the editorial staff are separated.
Publisher and Senior Editor-in-Chief Mikael Pentikäinen will continue as Senior Editor-in-Chief, and a business director will be recruited alongside him.
The new director will be responsible for the result-oriented management of Helsingin Sanomat and Sanoma Kaupunkilehdet (Sanoma Free Sheets), and the operations of the commercial organisation.
”There are major content reforms being prepared at Helsingin Sanomat, such as redesigning the paper, the digital development programme, and the merger of Nelonen News with Helsingin Sanomat. It’s great that I can concentrate on leading the newspaper and handling the demanding reforms”, Pentikäinen says.
At the same time, Riikka Venäläinen, Editor-in-Chief of Helsingin Sanomat, will start maternity leave. She will return to work in the spring of 2013.
Previously in HS International Edition:
Tabloid Hesari moves prompt both fear and delight (6.3.2012)
Helsingin Sanomat is to adopt tabloid-size format from next year (28.2.2012)
Sanoma press release 6.6.2012
Sanoma press release 28.2.2012